Government Critical Infrastructure Solutions
The Power of Connectivity in Government Critical Infrastructure
Government and municipalities face many challenges in today’s rapidly changing landscape. Moore’s Law states that technology tends to double every two years while simultaneously becoming more accessible and affordable.
This is certainly true in government as security and citizen services are critical concerns. The Internet of Things (IoT) has brought technology to the Edge of governance allowing cities to become more efficient and provide better service to their populations. This rapidly changing landscape provides significant challenges.
Government facilities require continuous, clean, and reliable power to support critical IT infrastructure and ensure 24/7 continuity. Loss of power can result in data loss and worse yet, loss of critical infrastructure availability such as water and electricity services.
The keys to ensuring citizen safety, protecting your reputation, and boosting financial stability start with building your organization’s reliability through optimized critical infrastructure along with flexible services and support for municipal employees.
Factors such as aging physical infrastructure, rising energy costs, natural disasters, ever-changing regulatory requirements, and a shortage of skilled workers also contribute to technology risks for government entities.
How Technology Is Changing the Landscape
Internet of Things
The Internet of Things (IoT) is the idea that the internet will expand to many items in the world besides phones and computers. These items will be accessible via the internet wherein you can pull data and/or affect them.
Here are four ways the IoT can change your work today:
- Remote Monitoring
- Can provide status updates and up-time reports for critical infrastructure through wireless communications allowing the city to quickly resolve potential problems.
- Precision Recording and Reporting
- One of the major benefits of using machines is their objectiveness. As long as the machine is functioning properly, it is less prone to data-entry mistakes.
- The Advent of “Smart Cities”
- IoT is allowing cities to become “Smart” through connecting sensors, traffic lights, and various meters to collect and analyze data. This data can then be used to improve infrastructure, public utilities and services, and much more.
- Cost and Time Savings
- Like any major upgrade, the initial investment of both money and time into the IoT will be high. You might need to completely revamp your technology base and retrain your staff. The returns, however, are unbelievable. No more faulty data recording, no more inaccurate reports, no more wasted time and money on inaccurate analysis or data records. Overall, the IoT is the next big step toward efficiency, automation, and accuracy.
Government Connectivity & Secure Data Transfers
When the power of people coming together across multiple government organizations working together, it leads to better connectivity and communication.
Achieving a unified collaboration is known as interoperability and offers many perks:
- Fast Access to Data
- Collaborating with other organizations allows you to get the key data you need at faster speeds than ever before.
- Expanded Knowledge
- Sharing information allows everyone to develop a complete knowledge base, expanding the possibilities for every organization.
- Better Decisions
- With more information, municipal administrators and city councils will be better informed and make better decisions.
- Improved Quality of Life
- The goal of interoperability is to improve the quality of life for the citizens within each city. Sharing data empowers your staff to make the best decisions and build the best services possible.
Despite these benefits, interoperability and regular data transfer has some drawbacks.
- Risk of Hacks
- As more and more documents are sent over the web, secure connections must be ensured to protect from hackers. If your tech isn’t up to security standards, interoperability isn’t going to be safe for your citizens until you upgrade.
- Regulatory Compliance
- Any breach can result in incredibly large fines, loss of citizen trust, and even a loss of funding. Your tech needs to be able to protect your citizens and your reputation before interoperability can begin.
- Data Security
- The biggest source of data breaches at any company isn’t hackers or faulty tech, it’s the staff in the workplace. Your staff will need to be trained on proper usage of the new technology and procedures to ensure data isn’t compromised due to operator error.
Government is an incredibly stressful industry with significant impacts to citizens. Not only do you need to supply quality services, you must maintain your facilities and ensure your staff have the necessary technology in place to do their work.
The last thing you should need to worry about are malicious attacks on your systems or the effects of local natural disasters, but these events are all too common and growing ever more frequent. Improving the physical and virtual security of your environment is essential to preserving your operation and citizen privacy.
The result of a noncompliance suit or inspection can be incredibly detrimental to your operations.
Fines often stretch into the millions after a data breach and this is considered a generally good outcome. You need a partner who understands the stringent requirements you face and can build elegant code-minimum solutions.
The Challenges of Operating Critical Infrastructure in Government
Network Security & Infrastructure Protection
- Technology is an incredibly important part of government. Without a strong IT backbone, you won’t be able to rely on the critical technology you need to help your citizens.
- Your facilities need reliable power all day, every day.
- As interoperability and the Internet of Things expand, so, too, will your needs for greater security and power.
The Challenge of Distributed Technology Infrastructure
- Your facility must meet the challenge of not only using legacy applications but applying them over outdated infrastructure. Some of these networks are comprised of hundreds of facilities all trying to use these programs at once.
- Without strong IT management resources, it can be impossible to know what’s happening on your own network.
- Through a strong, connected network, you can simplify your IT management and empower your decision makers.
Government Operations Efficiency
- Government infrastructure is one of the most complex industries. You need all the power you can get out of your IT systems to meet requirements and prepare for modern technology adoption.
- Pressure is rising to reduce your costs, improve margins, and increase staff productivity and efficiency.
- As the IoT grows, your systems will be increasingly taxed by the volume of incoming data and connected devices. Your infrastructure needs to keep up with growing requirements and your infrastructure efficiency needs to increase with each addition.
Enable “Green” Solutions & Sustainability in Government
- Municipalities use a tremendous amount of energy. Getting the most efficient tech possible is a huge priority to drive down skyrocketing power costs and conserve tax dollars.
- Energy-efficient equipment upgrades, and replacements help decrease costs and the city’s environmental footprint. Optimizing your infrastructure can be a simple but powerful way to lower costs.
Power Quality Concerns
- Low power quality, poor installation, or problems in your electrical grid can severely impact critical infrastructure equipment and lower the quality of life for your citizens.
- Unplanned equipment downtime due to power problems can severely impact city services and put them at unnecessary risk.
- Clean, reliable, and efficient power starts with proper design, equipment selection, and installation. Regular system testing can also help ensure efficient, safe, and continuous operation.
Government Critical Infrastructure Services
As you look to optimize your municipal operations, we provide a variety of solutions to keep your infrastructure secure and online. Connect with us to schedule a call with one of our engineers to determine the best solution for your government facilities.
How We Can Help
- Simplify the management and design of your IT infrastructure.
- Build your infrastructure power system into a reliable, efficient, and eco-friendly system.
- Aid your operations in the transition to IoT.
- Create compliant energy and data storage solutions.
- Empower you and your team to do the best work.
Optimize Your Government Facilities with a Partner You Can Trust
Government technology is ever-expanding and growing quickly in complexity and cost. You need a partner who understands the stringent requirements and incredible regulatory complexities cities and municipalities face. You need a partner with industry experience, dedication to safety and efficiency, and expertise in IT fields.
We can help lower your power costs, increase your security, create an efficient network, establish strong infrastructure, and empower your team to provide the best possible environment for your citizens. Contact us today to start moving toward tomorrow!